Most of us never think about our ice maker until something is wrong with it. But the moment you put your glass against the dispenser lever expecting ice to fall out of the chute and nothing happens, you know you have a problem.
The skilled technicians at Top Shelf Appliance share some basic troubleshooting advice. But if that doesn’t do the trick, give us a call at (253) 486-9072. We can take a look at your refrigerator/freezer ice and water dispenser and make sure it’s back in good working order.
Ice Maker Basics
When someone calls us with an ice maker issue, we first ask two basic questions. You’d be surprised how many times this solves the problem!
- Make sure you have selected “ice” on the control panel
- Be certain the ice maker is turned on
- Check the ice storage bin and adjust it to put it properly in place
- Examine the ice dispenser chute to ensure it is not clogged by a clump of ice
- Confirm that the control lock is turned off/deactivated
- Do not leave the refrigerator or freezer doors open for long periods of time
- Clean the ice bin to make sure ice particles are not creating an obstacle
- Check the temperature of your freezer to make sure it is cold enough
- Certify that the bin for ice is in the proper location, directly below the ice maker, so the automatic shut off feature works correctly
- Do not store anything other than ice in the ice bin (putting containers of ice cream on top of the ice bin is a common mistake)
If you don’t use your ice maker frequently, ice can cluster together and freeze. Simply empty the ice bin and allowing the ice maker a few hours to make some new ice can help you determine if there is a larger problem.
Whether the appliance is new, new-to-you due to recently moving into the home, or you’re just having a day, there are no stupid questions when it comes to making your home appliances operate properly.
If you’ve checked all of the above and your ice maker still isn’t working, it might be time to have a Top Shelf Appliance team member out to take a look. It could be any number of problems.
Normandy Park Appliance Repair Services Near Me
Making Ice, No Ice Coming Out
There’s ice inside the bin, so your ice maker is getting enough water. Check the metal control arm and make sure it is all the way down (or in whatever position turns it on in your model appliance).
If everything looks okay with the control arm, you could have an issue with an electrical connection or motor.
Not Making Ice
If you find your ice maker is not generating any ice, there may be a clog — usually frozen water — in the water supply line. Defrosting the line can be complicated, so it’s best to call in the pros.
If you can see the clog in the line and it doesn’t look like clear ice, don’t try to fix it yourself. The clog could be something other than frozen water and needs an experienced set of eyes to determine what the problem is.
Click to contact Top Shelf Appliance Repair Services today
Ice Cubes Are the Wrong Size
If your ice cubes are unintentionally miniature-sized or too large, there are likely adjustments that need to be made to the ice maker.
Other Potential Issues
If you watch an online video, it can seem as though ice and water dispenser systems are simple and do-it-yourself fixes are easy. A few can be, for sure. However, water and ice dispensing systems are complicated and can vary significantly based on your appliance model.
Other potential issues can include:
- No water flowing to your ice maker due to crimps or clogs in the water supply tubing
- A damaged water inlet valve
- Issues with the water supply line to the entire refrigerator
- A problem with a small heating element in the ice maker that helps release the ice
- A clogged water filter
- Low water pressure to the appliance or to your entire home
- A frozen or damaged water inlet tube
- Using a household reverse osmosis system can affect water pressure to your appliance
As you can see, the water and ice dispenser system is a bit more complicated than those DIY videos would have you believe. The problem could be with the freezer, the ice dispenser itself, water lines to the appliance, your home’s water supply, or any combination of issues.
Schedule Your Ice Maker Repairing Service Appointment for Your Normandy Park Home Today
Call Top Shelf Appliance at (253) 486-9072 and a skilled technician will evaluate your ice maker, diagnose the problem, and repair the issue. Top Shelf Appliances is independently veteran-owned and operated, we are not a franchise operation. We provide the best service and reasonably priced repairs by our team of experienced, trustworthy technicians.
All our team members are licensed, insured, and bonded. We guarantee we will respond to your service inquiry within 24 hours and we’ll be at your home during our scheduled two-hour service window. Top Shelf Appliance offers a 90-day warranty on all parts and repairs.